1 small butternut squash
1 large onion
1 stick of celery
1 clove of garlic
2 chicken stock cubes
- Wash and chop the vegetables (it's not necessary to peel the butternut squash)
- Sweat the vegetables with a tiny amount of oil in a large covered pan - I use olive oil
- Add the chopped garlic and the stock cubes to the pan. Cover the mixture with hot water.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft - around 20 minutes
- Blitz in a blender/liquidiser until smooth
- Season to taste - I add freshly grated black pepper and nutmeg, and a sprinkling of turmeric to each serving.
- I serve this with a good wholemeal bread (for those who want added protein I sometimes toast the bread with some grated cheese)
Nutritional value of butternut squash :
According to the United States Department of Agriculture database, butternut squash provides 93 different nutrients. It is a plentiful source of Vitamin A.
Turmeric is famed for its anti-inflammatory properties. It's an important component of ayurvedic medicine. I'm quite frequently adding it to food nowadays for the health benefits- and it tastes good in this soup.