This is a delicious soup! It's full of healthy beans, which are a good source of protein and rich in phytoestrogens - which apparently can help reduce the risk of breast cancer and osteoporosis. The recipe is for two servings.
- First make your croutons: any bread that you have in the cupboard will do - ciabatta, white, wholemeal etc. I use wholemeal:-
- Cube the bread - use as much as you need for two servings - or you can make enough for a few days and store the leftover croutons in an airtight tin.
- Drizzle with olive oil (get your hands in to make sure that each cube of bread is coated and go easy on the oil, which is high-calorie).
- Drop onto a baking tray and bake for around 12 minutes in an oven preheated to 180 degrees centigrade or gas 4.
1 onion, chopped
1 stick of celery chopped
1 x 410g can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
350 ml stock - vegetable or chicken (I use chicken)
Small handful of flat leaf parsley or a teaspoon of dried parsley
2 tbspoons of olive oil (or you could use rapeseed oil/a mixture of the two types)
- Fry the onion and celery in the oil until soft but not brown
- Add the cannellini beans and the stock
- Gently simmer for around 5 minutes
- Pour into a blender with the parsley and whizz until smooth
- Sprinkle with croutons, a sprinkling of black pepper and, if you like, some celery leaves to garnish (the outside leaves are bitter - use the pale ones from the inside stalks of celery)
- Serve with a large portion of love