We all deserve the occasional treat. Lemon Posset is a deliciously moreish end to a meal and it's both quick and cheap to prepare. It’s high in fat and sugar so best eaten only very ocassionally. The three ingredients to serve three people are -
- A 300 ml tub of double cream
- One lemon - unwaxed
- 70 g caster sugar
Make sure that the lemon is unwaxed, as you will need to grate the rind.
Here's what to do:
- Grate the lemon rind and then squeeze the juice
- Weigh the sugar
- Pour the cream and sugar into a saucepan (heavy based is best to prevent burning, if you have one)
- Place the cream and sugar mix over the hob and bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Boil for three minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the lemon rind and juice
- Divide between three dishes and chill in the fridge for 3 hours to allow the posset to set (I like to use a pretty cup and saucer to serve but a stemmed glass dish is also good)
Total calories- a whopping 1792. That's 597 calories per serving. If that is too many to contemplate you could, if you choose, divide the mixture between four ramekins and serve the posset with a few soft berries.
Cost - approximately 50 pence per person if serving three.